[CentOS] PCI modems

RedShift redshift at pandora.be
Thu Jul 23 13:37:18 UTC 2009

Robert Heller wrote:

>> Hi all,
>>

>> I'm currently searching for a PCI modem that will be used to receive faxes. I've tried out a few modems but they all use conexant chipsets, which need out-of-tree kernel drivers and currently doesn't work here (kernel oops when the installation script modprobes the driver).
>>
>> Does anyone know of a PCI modem that works out of the box with in-tree kernel drivers?
>
> Does it *have* to be a PCI (internal) modem?  Except for a few *very
> expensive* ones (3Com/US Robotics *used* to make one I think), they are
> all 'controllerless' modems (aka 'winmodems'). Controllerless modems
> are poorly support under Linux, and there is little or no motivation
> for the kernel developers to bother supporting them.  It might actually
> be easier to get an old ISA modem card (off eBay), except modern
> computers don't have ISA busses anymore :-).
>
> It would actually be cheaper (and far easier) to get an *external*
> RS232 modem.  At worst you'll need a serial port card (Lava's PCI
> serial port cards are quite  well supported).  In effect the
> combination of a Lava PCI serial port card and a RS232 modem would be a
> PCI modem, although the 'modem' itself would be external.

Hi

It doesn't need to be a PCI modem, but I would prefer one because everything can be nicely tucked away than and it's less wiring. But if only oldskool external serial modems do the job I'll use that then.

Just to confirm, something like this one: http://www.usr-emea.com/products/p-dialup-product.asp?prod=hom-5631a&loc=bene will just work out of the box?

Thanks,

Glenn