[CentOS] Self signed certs, openssl dovecot

Ned Slider ned at unixmail.co.uk
Fri Jul 24 22:33:29 UTC 2009

Bob Hoffman wrote:

>> Did you try any of the advice you received when you asked a month ago?
>>
>> http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2009-June/078273.html
>>

> That was for the error with outlook, this is more about how to add that
> middle chain with dovecot to avoid the issue.
> None of those others will work with outlook. Importing a cert will do
> nothing to avoid a constant error everytime you open up the mail client.
> Only a trusted CA will work it seems.
> Dovecot setup uses two pem files and that is what the books say, but to not
> get the trusted chain error there has to be that third file of 'some kind'
> 'some where' relating to 'some thing'
>
> If you have an answer, link to it, because I can show you no answer at all
> to prevent ssl chain warnings when accessing self signed certs via dovecot
> and mail clients...even if adding to the trusted folders client side.

You need to become your own root CA, and sign your server certs with
that root CA cert. Then import the root CA into Outlook as a trusted
authority.

Step by step guides...

http://www.g-loaded.eu/2005/11/10/be-your-own-ca/

http://www.globalsign.com/support/personal-certificate/per_outlook07.html

but all this was explained a month ago in your original thread right here:

http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2009-June/078275.html