[CentOS] potsfix keeping mail in queue on delivery error

Andreas Rogge a.rogge at solvention.de
Mon Jul 27 14:24:14 UTC 2009

Am Montag, den 27.07.2009, 14:37 +0200 schrieb Robert Grasso:
> Hello,
>
> Our mail server is running CentOS 5.3. I configured postfix with maildrop as the MDA. I had to deal with a strange issue : a user
> sent an email to an alias, which resolves into several internal addresses. One of these addresses had its mbox filled up (reached
> the mailbox_size_limit); so maildrop reported a 0x19 error code to postfix, who kept the mail in its queue, and repeatedly resent
> the email : thus every member of the alias list received many copies of this email, except of course the one with the filled mbox.
>
> Is there a way to configure postfix so that it does not resend the
> email to the recipients who do not report any error ?

We run Postfix + Cyrus and a some of our users are often "over quota".
Using virtual alias maps in postfix for aliases, leads to the following
effect: the mail is "splitted" by postfix and then requeued for a evety
recipient of the alias (not the alias itself). If submission fails (e.g.
"over quota"), then the mail stays in the queue and submission is
retried regularly.
As the mail was already splitted before the submission attempt to the
mailbox, only the mail for the mailbox that's failing is kept in the
queue.

Hope that helps...

Regards,
Andreas