[CentOS] install DVD mounted -noexec by default == bad interpreter permission denied

Filipe Brandenburger filbranden at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 19:11:10 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 14:52, Dave<tdbtdb+centos at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 1:04 AM, William L. Maltby <CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com> wrote:
>> In bash, you could probably stil run it with the "source" or ","
>> command, e.g.
>>
>> . <the path to the script>
>> source <the path to the script>
>
> Nope, in desperation I tried those also, to no avail. My problem was
> that the disk was mounted noexec, and the OS refuses to run scripts
> that are located on partitions mounted noexec. From my history file:

Running the script with "sh /media/dvd/install" or ".
/media/dvd/install" will work as long as the script does not invoke
any other scripts (without "sh" or ".") or binaries in the same DVD,
at that point it will fail due to the "noexec" mount option. This is
probably what happened to you, and you interpreted that as the script
not being able to run, while in fact it was running, only the binary
it was calling was unable to run.

I agree with Dave that the general solution to this problem (running
software or installers from media) is to remount it with the "exec"
option.

HTH,
Filipe