[CentOS] etc passwd and groups file

jacob at aers.ca jacob at aers.ca
Wed Jul 29 16:07:35 UTC 2009

Pushing passwd, group and shadow files can just be scripted to scp them
from one master machine to all the client nodes. an ssh key can be used
with the private key only existing on the master node so only it can
push out changes (protect it with your life as this has the potential to
be a nasty hole) on a regular basis. remove passwd from all slave nodes
and replace it with a script that either says to go to the master and
change their password there or have it feed their input to the master
via an ssh tunnel to have the change made.

I see by Lustre's site that is supports MIT kerberos for authentication.
this would be better then pushing out shadow, you would still need a
tool to push out user id's though, ldap could handle this part as they
are typically handled together, and if Lustre recognizes PAM then it
should be transparent to it.

A quick google search shows that Googlecode.com has a document
suggesting ldap and kerb.
http://lustrecluster.googlecode.com/files/LustreHowTo.pdf