[CentOS] USB, AutoMount & VNC

Jason Thrasher

jasonthrasher at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 23:56:09 UTC 2009

Hi Guy,
I'm curious if you found a solution to the headless automount problem
on centos?  I'm running into a similar problem, though I am not using
VNC.  My machine is simply headless, with only network and power
supplied, and I'm trying to trigger a bash script to run when a new
device is added (like USB, DVD, CDROM, etc) using a custom udev rule.

Automount seems to only work for removable devices if a user is logged
in locally on the console, not via ssh.  Something about the tty
nature of the login seems to be affecting how udev handles these
removable devices.  When a user is logged in locally, it fires the
udev rules, and will run my udev rule which triggers other actions.  I
can't get this to work without the local login though.

any ideas or pointers?

thanks,
Jason