[CentOS] Open Letter to Lance Davis

Monty Shinn montys at videopost.com
Thu Jul 30 14:11:09 UTC 2009

Craig White wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-07-30 at 14:49 +0200, Tim Verhoeven wrote:
>> If people want more background information, please read the blogs of
>> some of the developers available at :
>>
>> http://planet.centos.org/
>>
>> That should give everyone a idea of what has happened and where the
>> problems are according to us. But like Jim said, let us know what you
>> feel is important for you.
> ----
> I think that most of us are unconcerned with the specific aspects of
> CentOS management and clearly support the ones who appear to do all the
> work, in this case, the ones who signed this 'open letter'
>
> Perhaps you can just say to Lance, thanks and keep whatever money, just
> turn over the domain name and then you can get your own paypal & adsense
> accounts.
>
> Craig

Indeed, the intellectual property clearly does not reside solely with
Lance.  Physical property (servers, etc...), I don't know.

To those that have been able to donate money, I would like to say thank
you.  The project is still alive, so the money must have been used to
some extent to support the project.

The open letter seems to be quite measured, intended to bring public
notice to Lance and inform the community at large.  The letter also
proves that the project has a level of administrative self-correction
and accountability - this is a good thing.

Perhaps if a couple of the principals of the project live in close
proximity to Lance, a *non-confrontational* knock on his door, followed
by a face-to-face meeting would resolve most issues.  Perhaps not.

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank all the developers
and participants involved in making the CentOS distro what it is.  I
trust the current administrative issues will be resolved quickly.

Thanks again,

Monty