[CentOS] LDAP howto using ds-base and ds-admin and related consoles

Rob Kampen

rkampen at kampensonline.com
Thu Jul 30 17:03:17 UTC 2009

Hi,
I have previously used openLDAP and read many of their howto documents
for establishing an LDAP server.
RH and CentOS provide <brand>-ds-base and related rpms and I like what I
see and read about the product.
I found the wiki article on installing the rpms and getting it running
on a server - so far so good.
Then I fall into a big hole.
What are the key items that need to be put in place to actually make it
useful for my domain?
Is there a document somewhere for those of us that want to bridge from
openLDAP to the RH based product?
I have read many hundreds of pages, have purchased O'reilly's LDAP
System Administration but cannot seem to get my dirsrv based LDAP to
function.
I do understand that ds uses LDIF files to store and set things up, but
seem unable to grasp the arcane entries that need to exist so I can
access it with a basic LDAP client to load my users etc.
Also I guess there are certain schemas that need to be used to allow
basic functions to work.
My wish list:
linux user authentication and authorization
windows user authentication and authorization (via samba?)
customer contact list (name, address, company, phone numbers, email
addresses)
- this last one to be used by Thunderbird and my SIP phone system - both
of which profess to speak LDAP
I'm sure there are many small business folk that would like something
like this, however I cannot find a template with all my searches, so for
those of you with better LDAP and or google skills - please point me in
the right direction.
Thanks
Rob