[CentOS] LDAP howto using ds-base and ds-admin and related consoles

Tony Molloy tony.molloy at ul.ie
Fri Jul 31 07:20:54 UTC 2009

On Thursday 30 July 2009 19:23:24 Kwan Lowe wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 1:03 PM, Rob Kampen<rkampen at kampensonline.com>
> wrote: [snip]
>
> > I have read many hundreds of pages, have purchased O'reilly's LDAP System
> > Administration but cannot seem to get my dirsrv based LDAP to function.
> > I do understand that ds uses LDIF files to store and set things up, but
> > seem unable to grasp the arcane entries that need to exist so I can
> > access it with a basic LDAP client to load my users etc.
> > Also I guess there are certain schemas that need to be used to allow
> > basic functions to work.
> > My wish list:
> > linux user authentication and authorization
> > windows user authentication and authorization (via samba?)
> > customer contact list (name, address, company, phone numbers, email
> > addresses)
> > - this last one to be used by Thunderbird and my SIP phone system - both
> > of which profess to speak LDAP
> > I'm sure there are many small business folk that would like something
> > like this, however I cannot find a template with all my searches, so for
> > those of you with better LDAP and or google skills - please point me in
> > the right direction.

I'm going through the same process as Rob ( the OP ) at the moment. I want to
setup centos-directory server. initially I want it to replace a NIS and Samba
system with about 1200 existing users.

> There's a pretty straightforward guide at HowToForge.com (search for
> "CentOS LDAP"). It's a little dated, but works as advertised.  In a
> nutshell the installation requires installing the centos-ds packages
> (about 4), installing a Sun Java, and then populating the database.
> The client side is even simpler.

Installing centos-ds is not a problem. It's what you do after it. Especially
for people like me who have no experience with OpenLDAP.

> Linux and Windows user authentication is straightforward, with GUI
> based setup and editing.

With 1200 existing users to be migrated then GUI based setup and editing is
not very useful.

> The default schema I use doesn't include address, company, etc., but
> these are very easily added.  I tested with kaddressbook and a couple
> other LDAP browsers without any glitches.

I'm going through the Howto:Samba from <directory.fedoraproject.org> at the
moment and hopefully that will get me started.

But what would be nice is:

1. Howto:migtate existing NIS to CentosDS
2. Howto:migrate existing Samba to CentosDS

Regards,

Tony

Dept. of Comp. Sci.
University of Limerick.