[CentOS] LDAP howto using ds-base and ds-admin and related consoles

Tony Molloy tony.molloy at ul.ie
Fri Jul 31 15:00:54 UTC 2009

On Friday 31 July 2009 15:05:29 Craig White wrote:

<snip>
> > I'm going through the Howto:Samba from <directory.fedoraproject.org> at
> > the moment and hopefully that will get me started.
> >
> > But what would be nice is:
> >
> > 1. Howto:migtate existing NIS to CentosDS
> > 2. Howto:migrate existing Samba to CentosDS
>
> ----
> seriously...I don't think you are ever going to find such a beast.

True, it was a wish list after all ;-)

> There are some really good tools from padl to migrate nis to ldap (on
> Redhat/CentOS installed as part of openldap-servers package). This may
> require some amount of script-fu (perl, sed, awk, etc.) but not too
> much. Then to add the samba attributes/passwords/machine accounts will
> require a larger dose of script-fu.

I've got them and they are useful. As I said I'm going through the Howto:Samba
now.

> But this all would be virtually impossible without a decent knowledge of
> how LDAP works and that is regardless of whether you use CentOS-DS or
> OpenLDAP.
>
> Craig

After reading Carter's book I think i've got some idea of how LDAP works. Just
a pity that most books/documentation seem to be about OpenLDAP so it takes a
while to convert to Centos-DS.

regards,
Tony

--