[CentOS] Open Letter to Lance Davis

Marcelo M. Garcia marcelo.maia.garcia at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 31 16:17:03 UTC 2009

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Marcelo M. Garcia wrote:
>>> I was expecting it to be the other way around.  With Centos the base and
>>> SL a site(or something like it). In RHEL 6 I expect the distro rebuild tools to make sites easier.  This
>>> comment is based on the distro rebuild tools in Fedora.  We built a custom
>>> Fedora 10 to test this idea.  These are pungi, revisor and the iso image
>>> tool(forgot its name).
>> CentOS and Scientific Linux together would be like dream come true.
>
> My 'dream' OS has always been one where the base install was extremely
> minimal - just enough to install the rest over the network.  Then there
> would be a way that anyone could 'publish' their installed list of
> repositories and packages and anyone else could duplicate that machine's
> setup just by picking that list from a set of choices with the installer
> dealing with the hardware differences for you.  This would eliminate
> most of the need for custom rebuilds and respins - at least for anyone
> with network access, and in my opinion the optimal combination of many
> thousands of packages is something that deserves to be be crowdsourced.
>   But, so far no one has done it and whenever the discussion of modified
> CentOS respins comes up the developers have seemed pretty lukewarm to
> the idea, as though it would devalue their brand.

Hi

The idea of a minimal installation is interesting. Could this be done
with a kickstart or a installation CD? Then you download/customize with
"yum groupinstall <something>".

I think I didn't understand "it would devalue their brand". How could do
it if you reaching a wider public, working with more people with (more
or less) same goal? I would say "more" than "less". To me, as user,
seems that you will your brand more appealing.

Besides, it seems, from the comment about the Fedora 10 tools, that the
customization could be easier in RHEL 6.

Regards

mg.