[CentOS] Dag's comment at linuxtag

Michael A. Peters

mpeters at mac.com
Thu Jul 2 06:57:02 UTC 2009

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Michael A. Peters wrote:
>> How it interacts with epel I don't really care about, but it should not
>> update vendor packages, and anything that requires an updated vendor
>> package will be broken on yum configurations that protect the base install.
>
> I think you've confused rpmforge with something else.   If you are happy with a
> base install you probably shouldn't be using it.

I only use rpmforge for a few packages, I use priorities and it is set
to lowest. I think my nvidia driver is from them, and one dependency I
need for xine non-free (private package) I think is from them. I use to
maintain my own nvidia driver via the old kmod rebuild every update
method but their packaging was superior.

I don't know what rpmforge has in general, I was just replying to the
comment about needing to update python in order to get a package to
build. Python really should not be updated. Parallel install OK, but
updating the system python is asking for a fubar system.

If rpmforge does not do that, then it clearly isn't an issue.