[CentOS] Upgrading drives in raid 1

Bob Hoffman

bob at bobhoffman.com
Thu Jul 2 17:18:43 UTC 2009

>If /dev/md1 is made out of /dev/sda2 and /dev/sdb2, it will not work,
>as those partitions will still be the same size as they were before...

I have md0 as the boot, md1 as the rest. Inside md1 are all my lvm
partitons.
The grow command is supposed to expand the size of that md1 from its current
200+GB to fill the rest of the 500gb drive.

I thought you could then expand the lvm partions inside of that.

If the grow command does not make the raid device larger, then what does it
do?

# cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [raid1]
md0 : active raid1 sdc1[2](S) sdb1[1] sda1[0]
      104320 blocks [2/2] [UU]

md1 : active raid1 sdc2[2](S) sdb2[1] sda2[0]
      245007232 blocks [2/2] [UU]

unused devices: <none>

Thanks for the input...glad I posted before I did this.