[CentOS] Dag's comment at linuxtag

Bogdan Nicolescu

bo2k2 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 3 19:07:07 UTC 2009

In all fairness to all the rebels, if somebody from the Cento's team would have responded in a timely matter to the original yes/no question of this thread, maybe this thread wouldn't have deviated to the point at which is at.  Something definitely got lost in the translation, but in the future, if someone speaks on the behalf of Centos, please make sure that the information remains consistent with Centos' goals.  And the goal as far as I can tell is very simple... 100% RH compatibility.  Please warn us in advance the moment Centos plans to break 100% RH compatibility.

RC, check the original post again, and then your answer.  You actually ignore the second half of what you quote,

"> A quick look at http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=centos
> shows that a great majority of the packages are not even
> close to being "up-to-date", and that is a good thing for
> those us of who care more about stability than eyecandy"

you probably didn't even bother to read the rest of the message:

">From the comment "...latest release has many up-to-date desktop packages and we also have an extra repository with many
application and drivers that are not officially part of Red Hat Enterprise
Linux (RHEL)..."  is is safe to assume that future releases of Centos
will remain a "built from publicly available open source SRPMS provided
by a prominent North American Enterprise Linux vendor. CentOS conforms fully with the upstream
vendors redistribution policies and aims to be 100% binary compatible.
(CentOS mainly changes packages to remove upstream vendor branding and
artwork).", AND all additional non-PNAELV packages will remain in the
extra repository??"

and then you hijack the thread and start talking about version numbers, Dag, repositories, and suitable distros.

NO... Dag, suitability, version numbers, and repositories were not the question.   Again, the question, which has a rather simple YES/NO answer, and which only someone from the Centos team could answer(and they already did a couple of days ago):

"is is safe to assume that future releases of Centos will remain a
"built from publicly available open source SRPMS provided by a prominent North American Enterprise Linux vendor. CentOS conforms fully with the upstream
vendors redistribution policies and aims to be 100% binary compatible.
(CentOS mainly changes packages to remove upstream vendor branding and
artwork).", AND all additional non-PNAELV packages will remain in the
extra repository???

The quoted staff is from Centos website.

And if you wonder why I asked this question, re-read the orginal post to put the question into context.

bn