[CentOS] modern motherboard for centos-5

fred smith

fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Mon Jul 6 01:44:55 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jul 05, 2009 at 09:03:59PM +0800, The Eye In The Sky wrote:
> fred smith wrote:
> > I'm considering upgrading, and am trying to choose a modern motherboard
> > that nevertheless fully works with Centos5/RHEL5.
> >
> > Though I'm partial to AMD processors, and would like to use one in my
> > new configuration, that's not a requirement, if the most appropriate
> > board happens to be intel-compatible.
> >

> Personally, for consumer  grade motherboard, I prefer to use Gigabyte or
> MSI.
> Between those two, MSI is more USB boot friendly. I boot many
> implementations with USB SysLinux without problem with MSI, but
> problematic with Gigabyte.
>
> For AMD, I recommend to get any with AMD 780G chipset, the reasons are :
> a. already has built in low entry 3D capable graphic unit, and has DVI
> output in case you want to use them with large LCD screen
> b. the SATA chipset brought by the AMD SB700 or SB750 is compatible with
> VMWare ESX 4.0i, thus can be made as local VMFS storage. My CentOs is
> always above VMware ESX now.
> > However, given the way ASUS is dumping LInux and crawling more firmly
> > into bed with the Beast, I'd prefer to avoid ASUS boards.
> >
> Long time never used the Asus board anymore, thus cannot comment.

Thanks for your thoughts.

My current system is a Gigabyte and I've been quite happy with it. Looking
around at Newegg, I see this board:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128392

that while inexpensive appears to be full-featured, at least for anything
I'd do with it. But I can't find anything online relating to Linux
compatibility. It uses AMD chips for north- and south-bridges, AMD770
and AMD SB710.

I suppose I could just buy it and find out, but that could get expensive,
what with re-stocking fees, and all.

Phoronix tends to review higher-end boards than this, mostly, and they also
consider it to be "linux compatible" if it works with the latest/greatest
as-yet-unreleased Ubuntu.

But I like to stick with Centos beecause I hate getting caught up in the
"update every six-to-twelve months" whether I like it or not treadmill. I
like to build a system and have it run for 2 or 3 years before I need
to do a major OS upgrade, and Fedora and Ubuntu do not lend themselves
well to that way of living.

--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us ------------------------ ----
                    Do you not know? Have you not heard?