[CentOS] hardware requirements for Centos 2

Niki Kovacs

contact at kikinovak.net
Mon Jul 6 19:38:50 UTC 2009

Dmitry a écrit :
> Hi.
>
> Could you please give me advice about issue described below.
>
> My friends have to use a PC with old hardware for a few months. They've
> got 128MB of RAM, 20 GB hard drive; Pentium 3 processor.
>
> At the moment they have windows xp running on it, but it's very slow.
>
> What are the system requirements for CentOS 2 or any other version of
> this OS that may be suitable?
>
> Can you recommend any other Linux distro that would be easy to install
> and to use?

Yes. CentOS 5. Start with a minimal install (base system). Install and
configure X. Only install packages you really need, be sure to
deactivate all unnecessary services. Go for XFCE, IceWM, Fluxbox or some
other lighter window manager. This sort of configuration is running in
my neighbour's home, I installed it for them on their old PIII-500 with
128 MB RAM.

Niki