[CentOS] Flash Drive problem?

Ron Blizzard

rb4centos at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 20:16:53 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 11:02 PM, Robert
Nichols<rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net> wrote:
> Ron Blizzard wrote:
> 1
>> Jul  1 03:54:26 localhost hald[2450]: forcibly attempting to lazy
>> unmount /dev/sda1 as enclosing drive was disc
>
> That indicates that you unplugged the drive without first unmounting
> it, which is very likely to cause exactly the problem you are seeing.

I think that was it. It also caused a problem with the hidden trash
directory that CentOS builds on the flash when you delete files. I
couldn't delete the files in the trash folder. The rebuild seems to
have fixed everything.

One thing that is odd -- sometimes when I unmount the flash drive, I
get a notice on the bottom of the screen that says 1) Wait until the
files are written to the flash and 2) It is now safe to remove the
flash drive. But I only get these notices some of the time -- maybe
two out of ten times.

At any rate, I'm now unmounting and then waiting for a while before
removing the flash (just in case it is still writing). Thanks.

--
RonB -- Using CentOS 5.3