[CentOS] CentOS/SNMP update breaks MRTG?

Noob Centos Admin

centos.admin at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 13:32:55 UTC 2009

Hi,

> Perhaps the OIDs changed for the interfaces you are monitoring.
>
> Have you tried re-running cfgmaker to regenerate mrtg.cfg? It should
> pick up the correct OIDs again.

Yes I did, however the default MRTG configuration appears to contain
almost nothing. Consulting with others. it seems to be the norm, MRTG
should pick up the standard OIDs for the basics, i.e. load and network
traffic if nothing's specified.

Currently, I had to manually insert target lines after figuring out
the OIDs in order to get garbage data into the log files. Garbage data
because while the debug log shows some numbers corresponding to output
from top, MRTG is producing graphs that bear no resemblance to it.

Reproducing the entire default MRTG configuration would therefore
pretty much require a very long config file, as well as coming up with
formulas to twist the data into something that would produce sensible
graphs... which obviously don't seem like the right way to do it.