[CentOS] CentOS/SNMP update breaks MRTG?

John R Pierce

pierce at hogranch.com
Wed Jul 15 06:14:42 UTC 2009

Noob Centos Admin wrote:
> downloaded jrrd but it refuses to ./configure because it cannot find rrd_create
>
> yum install rrdtool but there was no rrd_create

well, i note there's a few versions of rrdtool in the various
repositories.   the stock CentOS 5 version 9from upstream) is 1.2.30,
while rpmforge has 1.3.7, also a seperate rrdutils package (I have no
idea whats in it)

# yum list rrd\*
Installed Packages
rrdtool.i386
1.2.30-1.el5.rf                                             installed
Available Packages
rrdtool.i386
1.3.7-1.el5.rf                                              rpmforge
rrdtool-devel.i386
1.3.7-1.el5.rf                                              rpmforge
rrdtool-doc.i386
1.2.27-3.el5                                                epel
rrdtool-ruby.i386
1.2.27-3.el5                                                epel
rrdutils.noarch
5.2.1-1.el5.rf                                              rpmforge

and, yes, the 1.2.30 version does not seem to have rrd_create...

# rpm -ql rrdtool
/usr/bin/rrdcgi
/usr/bin/rrdtool
/usr/bin/rrdupdate
/usr/lib/librrd.so.2
/usr/lib/librrd.so.2.0.15
/usr/lib/librrd_th.so.2
/usr/lib/librrd_th.so.2.0.13
/usr/share/doc/rrdtool-1.2.30
...(bunch of share/doc files deleted)>...
/usr/share/man/man1/bin_dec_hex.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/cdeftutorial.1.gz
....(bunch of share/man pages deletged too0
/usr/share/rrdtool
/usr/share/rrdtool/examples
...some examples deleted...

HOWEVER< I note that the rrdtool command has...

    # rrdtool --help
    RRDtool 1.2.30  Copyright 1997-2008 by Tobias Oetiker <tobi at oetiker.ch>
                   Compiled Feb 20 2009 18:18:07

    Usage: rrdtool [options] command command_options

    Valid commands: create, update, updatev, graph, dump, restore,
                    last, lastupdate, first, info, fetch, tune,
                    resize, xport

a CREATE subcommand!