[CentOS] NIC traffic monitoring, recording and reporting software?

James B. Byrne

byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Wed Jul 15 17:38:03 UTC 2009

I discover that mrtg is available as a package for CentOS-5.  At
first blush this seems the answer but would it in fact suffice for
my purposes: measuring the total data volume passing over eth0 on
the CentOS based host running mrtg?

Is there a how-to guide to configuring snmp for eth0 on CentOS?  I
am afraid this this is all new territory for me and I am working
under serious time and resource constraints.  I have to get this
done quickly and cheaply and I need a recipe to monitor total eth0
traffic cumulatively over a period of months.  Getting the niceties
of snmp mastered and in place must wait til a later date.

Any pertinant advice is welcomed.

Canada  L8E 3C3