[CentOS] ntp time server

nate

centos at linuxpowered.net
Tue Jul 21 21:16:51 UTC 2009

Andy Harrison wrote:
> Currently, my time server is a Sun v240 with a 32-pci gps card (with a
> proprietary Solaris driver) attached to our gps receiver via an sma
> cable up to the roof of my building.  As I'm migrating almost all of
> our Solaris servers and services over to CentOS, I'd like to know what
> other people are using for time server hardware.  Any suggestions?

Not knowing what country your from but at a U.S. taxpayer I have
no reservations about using time.nist.gov myself, some people
think it's rude to directly query stratum 1 servers.

I typically have 2-3 NTP servers per location behind a load balancer
and my internal servers sync against the load balanced VIP, and the
NTP servers themselves sync against time.nist.gov

nate