[CentOS] bizarre firefox/X11 problem on centos 5.3

Ned Slider

ned at unixmail.co.uk
Fri Jul 24 00:05:39 UTC 2009

fred smith wrote:
> I set up a Centos5 box at work a week or two ago. Today I had this
> bizarre, repeatable problem:
>
> fire up firefox 3.5.1, browse to centos.org, go to the wiki, click the
> HOWTO button at the top of the page, and either at that point, or a
> moment later when clicking the link for the RAID documents, KABOOOOMMM!!!
> X dies and you return to a login prompt. I did it at least three times.
>
> Not nice when I have other windows open with unsaved files open.
>
> This box has some nvidia card or other, but I've NOT installed the
> closed nvidia drivers. haven't looked, but I guess that means it's
> using the nv driver instead.
>
> Never seen that before, anybody else experienced it?

That's the 3rd report I've seen of that recently - and all involve the
distro "nv" driver. I'm using nvidia proprietary drivers and am unable
to replicate it. I'd be interested to hear if switching to the
proprietary drivers makes the problem go away for you. Others thought it
might be an issue with Firefox, but I'm thinking not.