[CentOS] Grub fallback problem

Matthias Blankenhaus

matthiasblankenhaus at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 30 14:48:03 UTC 2009

--- On Thu, 7/30/09, John Doe <jdmls at yahoo.com> wrote:

> From: John Doe <jdmls at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] Grub fallback problem
> Date: Thursday, July 30, 2009, 3:53 AM
> From: Matthias Blankenhaus <matthiasblankenhaus at yahoo.com>
> > The problem is that the fallback does not work for
> me.  For instance, if I
> > specify on purpose a wrong root device with the NEW
> OS, e.g. root=/dev/sda3,
> > then the kernel panics and reboots properly after 5
> sec.  However, grub then
> > attempts to boot the NEW OS all over again.  The
> same is true when I fully boot
> > NEW OS with the right root device and then panic the
> kernel on purpose.
> > Now, I have read somewhere that grub requires a
> default file to get
> > the savedefault feature working.  However, I
> could neither find the
> > 'savedefault' command nor the grub default file under
> /boot/grub or
> > anywhere else.  One more thing, when I choose the
> boot title manually
> > then grub seems to remember my last choice.  In
> other words, grub is
> > preserving my last choice from a previous boot.
>
> Not sure if you already read this:
> http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/html_node/Booting-fallback-systems.html#Booting-fallback-systems

John, thanx for your reply.

Yes, I did read this and modified my grub.conf accordingly.  However,
the link you've sent me contains a reference to grub-set-default, which
seems to be no longer part of the grub rpm.  This is one part of the
problem.  The second one, as mentioned above, is that grub seems not to
preserve the fallback state across reboots.

Still puzzled,
Matthias