[CentOS] ssh -X not shutting down

Anne Wilson

cannewilson at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 31 06:26:40 UTC 2009

On Friday 31 July 2009 00:35:03 Clint Dilks wrote:
> This normally happens when you have a service wanting to keep a
> connection open to a Terminal.  Eg to display output from standard out,
> or standard error.  Are you by chance starting any services manually
> when you see this happen ?

Not at all.  Yesterday, for instance, I simply fired up konqueror to check out
a layout question.  It was open maybe two minutes, then I shut it down and
quit the ssh session - or tried to.

This problem has only occurred recently - maybe for the last 2 weeks.  Apart
from updates nothing has been changed on the server.  I'm not doing anything
complex when I ssh in - it's mostly when I simply want to check something that
needs root permissions (no, I don't log in as root ;-) - it's not permitted ).
For user-level I have permanent mounts to my /home and a data directory.

Anne