[CentOS] CentOS on Acer Laptop

Anne Wilson

cannewilson at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 31 12:39:00 UTC 2009

On Friday 31 July 2009 13:05:52 Robert Heller wrote:
wrote:
> > I have very basic question:
> >
> > I have downloaded *CentOS-5.3-i386-LiveCD* from CentOS website. Now I
> > need to install it on my Acer Laptop permanently not as a liveCD. How do
> > I burn it to a DVD to be able to install it by simply restarting my
> > laptop?
>
> The CentOS Live CD are not 'install' CDs -- they don't include the
> installer or the RPMs.  You should download the CentOS install DVD and
> burn that.

And to answer the 'how-to' bit - you can burn the cd in Windows or Linux.
Normally any burning program will have an option to 'burn an image', or
similar.  It's not usually as obvious as a plain burn, but tucked away in a
menu.  Now you know what you are looking for you should find it easily enough.

One thing.  Most burning applications give you the option to verify after the
burn.   What this means is that it calculates a checksum of the original file,
then compares with the checksum of the burned file.  It's a good idea to get
into the habit of always setting the verify when it is available to you.

Anne