[CentOS] Replicate desktop configuration for other users using /etc/skel

Fri Jul 3 17:43:56 UTC 2009
Niki Kovacs <contact at kikinovak.net>

Hi,

The subject says it all. I'd like to copy my own custom desktop
configuration for other users on the machine without having to go
manually through the hassle.

Here's a non-exhaustive list of what I usually tweak :

* Theme + icons
* background image
* panel
* screensaver
* Nautilus behaviour
* Handling of removable devices
* Gnome Terminal
* Gnome Dictionary (french servers)
* GEdit options

And so on...

I used to do this before, a few years ago, when I was a Slackware user,
but only with KDE (or XFCE on older hardware). Usually it boiled down to
copy the relevant hidden directory trees (.kde/ or .config) to /etc/skel
before creating new users.

Would something similar work with GNOME? And if so, what are the
relevant hidden configuration directories to copy over?

Cheers,

Niki