[CentOS] md0 mounted rw on boot

Tue Jul 7 23:51:16 UTC 2009
David.Mackintosh at xdroop.com <David.Mackintosh at xdroop.com>

Hi folks,

I updates one of my long-running CentOS 4.x systems today, and afterwards it wouldn't boot properly.
My issue was that it would start, then announce:

Checking root filesystem
/dev/md0 is mounted.  e2fsck cannot continue.

After much twiddling around, I discovered that if I booted from the
first kernel I had, it would boot properly.

Now this is a hand-rolled RAID, not an anaconda-generated one.  And I
seem to recall generating an initrd myself in order for the boot
process to work.  Does this mean that I have to generate a new initrd
every time I want to boot to a new kernel?

For the record, this kernel failed:

title CentOS (2.6.9-78.0.22.EL)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.9-78.0.22.EL ro quiet root=/dev/md0
        initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.9-78.0.22.EL.img

...while this one succeeded:

title CentOS-4 i386 (2.6.9-34.EL)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.9-34.EL ro root=/dev/md0
        initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.9-34.EL.img

And there are several other kernels on the system, but I honestly
don't know which ones have been run successfully.

Does anyone know what I did wrong?

--
 /\oo/\
/ /()\ \ David Mackintosh |