[CentOS] RAID problem when building new computer

Thu Jul 23 01:30:23 UTC 2009
fred smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>

Hi all!

I'm building up a new box and plan to use Centos 5 on it.

i've got a pair of SATA 320 GB drives to make a RAID1.

I'm trying to follow the "howto" on the centos wiki for making a
"partitionable RAID" installation.

Given that my partition scheme has a separate /boot partition, while
the one in the HOWTO apparently does not, I've had to tweak the steps
just slightly. But they all succeed without any problems, including
watching mdadm create the mirrored pair.

however, when I pop out the DVD (booted in rescue mode, per the HOWTO)
and reboot, it gets past the GRUB screen and gives me these errors:

	Mount: could not find filesystem '/dev/root'
	setuproot: moving /dev failed: no such file or directory
	setuproot: error mounting /proc: No such file or directory
	setuproot: error mounting /sys: No such file or directory
	switchroot: mount failed: No such file or directory

I have no idea what these errors mean. I assume they all cascade from
whatever failure the first one is trying to inform me of. I don't see
"/dev/root" anywhere in any of the config files I changed, per the
HOWTO.

I'd appreciate clues, hints, suggestions, etc.

Thanks in advance!

--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us ------------------------ ----
                    Do you not know? Have you not heard?