[CentOS] server is always getting hacked

Wed Jul 1 01:48:18 UTC 2009
Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com>

> On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 5:26 PM, Michael A. Peters <mpeters at mac.com> wrote:
> > How does that help?
>
> Its considered proper convention to use "sudo" on individual commands
> instead of changing the user to root. With sudo you can water down the
> ability of a user, eg can't use the shutdown command.
>
> I don't know if you can disable su -, but that would be the plus of this style.

Ubuntu does it by giving root a disabled password.  The su command is
not disabled exactly, but you cannot use su to become root (unless you
already are (eg 'sudo su -' which is kind if redundant).