[CentOS] Partitionning for future.

Thu Jul 2 15:22:46 UTC 2009
Yaovi Atohoun <yaovito at yahoo.fr>

I accept your remark and thanks.

I am planning to use the server mainly for MySQL and  need some space for Apache. This is why I have more than 100GB for /var.
I may need more spcae for MySQL databaes in the future and this is why I want to to with LVM

Thanks again
Yaovi

--- En date de : Jeu 2.7.09, Filipe Brandenburger <filbranden at gmail.com> a écrit :

De: Filipe Brandenburger <filbranden at gmail.com>
Objet: Re: [CentOS] Partitionning for future.
Date: Jeudi 2 Juillet 2009, 17h10

Hi Yaovi,

In the future, please post your questions to the list and not directly
to me, that way you might get answers from others as well.

On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 10:52, Yaovi Atohoun<yaovito at yahoo.fr> wrote:
> I have re-installed CENTOS  but I have created a /tmp. Now I have /tmp and
> tmps
>
> df -h
> Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
> /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
>                        21G  381M   19G   2% /
> /dev/cciss/c0d0p7     487M   11M  451M   3% /tmp
> /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol02
>                       5.0G  3.7G  1.1G  78% /usr
> /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol01
>                       5.0G  139M  4.7G   3% /home
> /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol03
>                       100G  258M   94G   1% /var
> /dev/cciss/c0d0p1      99M   12M   83M  13% /boot
> tmpfs                 505M     0  505M   0% /dev/shm
>
> Do you think that my partition is OK and I can continue?

It really depends on what you are trying to do. You did not use LVM
for /tmp and fixed it to ~500MB, but I can't tell you if that is going
to be enough for you or not, only you can tell that based on the
applications you are planning to run on this machine.

If you are not sure, I would at least suggest that you also create
/tmp on LVM, that way you can grow it if you really have the need for
more.

Yes, it is OK to have /tmp and a tmpfs for /dev/shm, they are
different from each other and each of them needed for different
purposes.

Personally, I think you should only create so many partitions for your
system if you really know what you are doing. While there are
advantages to having separate partitions (different I/O requirements
for particular applications, limit damage caused by an application
filling up the disk, in which case the root filesystem might not be
affected) it brings more complexity and more management requirements.
While LVM alleviates some of the problem, it does create its own as
well.

If you are not sure of what you are trying to accomplish and cannot
come up with specific requirements of what you need, I would recommend
you to create only a /boot partition (physical partition) and a /
partition on LVM and that's all. It will probably not be the ideal
setup, but good enough for most cases, and it will be the one that
will require the least management efforts.

HTH,
Filipe