[CentOS] Trouble running 'alsamixer' as normal user on headless box with minimal system

Mon Jul 6 13:42:12 UTC 2009
Niki Kovacs <contact at kikinovak.net>

Lucian at lastdot.org a écrit :

> ls -al /dev/{dsp,audio} ?

On my laptop:

[kikinovak at lifebook ~]$ ls -al /dev/{dsp,audio}
crw------- 1 kikinovak root 14, 4 jui  6 07:32 /dev/audio
crw------- 1 kikinovak root 14, 3 jui  6 07:32 /dev/dsp

And on the jukebox:

[kikinovak at jukebox ~]$ ls -al /dev/{dsp,audio}
crw------- 1 root root 14, 4 jui  6 15:23 /dev/audio
crw------- 1 root root 14, 3 jui  6 15:23 /dev/dsp

Uh oh. So here's the core of the problem.

Now as far as I understand, it's useless to change the owner of these
with a simple chown, as the device nodes get dynamically created by udev
(correct me if I'm wrong). I *think* I have to edit some udev rule file
to change this, but this is as far as my knowledge goes.

(This is strange... I can't remember doing anything like this to the
device files... how comes the ownership is different on a standard
desktop system?)

Niki