[CentOS] yum update error

Tue Jul 7 23:33:07 UTC 2009
Les Bell <lesbell at lesbell.com.au>

IMHO, on my CentOS 5.3 (32 bit) Desktop, RPMForge works very well. I
have given it a much higher Priority than EPEL. When I added the EPEL
Repository, the number of excluded packages went from approximately
400 to 1705.  My belief is that if EPEL had a high priority, it would
replace a *LOT* of packages I do not want replaced.
<<

Generally, you're right - but in this case, it seems to be purely an
rpmforge problem. I'm getting similar problems with a mail gateway which
has a lot of Perl modules to support amavisd/clamav/spamassassin:

"There was a problem updating the system. The following error message
was reported:

"Failed to build transaction: Missing Dependency: perl(Compress::Raw::Zlib)
>= 2.020 is needed by package perl-IO-Compress-2.020-1.el5.rf.noarch
(rpmforge)"

Checking svn at rpmforge shows:

Name: perl-Compress-Raw-Zlib
Version: 2.020
Release: 1

so it's in the repo. I assumed it was a problem with the mirror I was using
(ftp-stud.fht-esslingen.de) so I excluded in it fastestmirror.conf and
tried again, this time using fr2.rpmfind.net, but no joy:

Error: Missing Dependency: perl(Compress::Raw::Zlib) >= 2.020 is needed by
package perl-IO-Compress-2.020-1.el5.rf.noarch (rpmforge)

At this point, I'm not going to worry too much about it - it's in the
system and should eventually turn up. If not, I guess I'll have to find
some time to help out at rpmforge, rebuilding those Perl modules. . .

Best,

--- Les Bell
[http://www.lesbell.com.au]
Tel: +61 2 9451 1144