[CentOS] Flash Drive problem?

Wed Jul 8 05:53:25 UTC 2009
Robert Nichols <rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net>

Ron Blizzard wrote:
> One thing that is odd -- sometimes when I unmount the flash drive, I
> get a notice on the bottom of the screen that says 1) Wait until the
> files are written to the flash and 2) It is now safe to remove the
> flash drive. But I only get these notices some of the time -- maybe
> two out of ten times.

If there is a significant amount of data that must be written to the
device, then you get the pop ups.  If the device can immediately be
made ready to remove, then there are no messages.  In either case,
when the icon disappears from the desktop the device is safe to
remove.  The situation gets really messy if the device has more than
one partition mounted.  You can unmount one partition and get a
"safe to remove" message while another partition is still mounted.
I believe that's one reason MS Windows doesn't support multiple
partitions on these devices.

                 Do NOT delete it.