[CentOS] Add instantly active local user accounts *with* password using useradd -p option ?

Thu Jul 9 10:55:06 UTC 2009
William L. Maltby <CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com>

On Thu, 2009-07-09 at 08:32 +0200, Niki Kovacs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to setup a load of user accounts on a series of machines, for
> testing purposes. I'm using a script to do this, but the only problem I
> have so far: I have to activate them all manually by doing passwd user1,
> passwd user2, passwd user3, etcetera. The useradd man page mentions a -p
> option to define a password, but I can't seem to get this to work.

A common oversight. IIRC, the -p expects tha *encrypted password, as
might be found in /etc/shadow. The --stdin others suggest should do it.

--
Bill