[CentOS] Question about optimal filesystem with many small files.

Fri Jul 10 17:29:55 UTC 2009
oooooooooooo ooooooooooooo <hhh735 at hotmail.com>

Hi, After talking with te customer, I finnaly managed to convince him for using the first characters of the hash as directory names.

Now I'm in doubt about the following options:

a) Using directory 4 levels /c/2/a/4/ (200 files per directory) and mysql with a hash->filename table, so I can get teh file name from the hash and then I can directly access it (I first query mysql for the hash of the file, and the I read the file).

b) Using 5 levels without mysql, and making a dir listing (due to technical issues, I can't only know an approximate file name, so I can't make a direct access here), match the file name and then read it. The issue here is that I would have 16^5 leave directories (more than a million).

I could also make more combinations of mysql/not mysql and number of levels.

What do you think it would give the best performance in ext3?

Thanks.