[CentOS] sFTP (client) RPM for CentOS 5.3 (32 bit) and/or putty-tools

Sun Jul 12 22:30:14 UTC 2009
Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com>

> On Sun, Jul 12, 2009 at 5:05 PM, Bill Campbell<centos at celestial.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, Jul 12, 2009, Lanny Marcus wrote:
> >>I installed gFTP but apparently it does not handle the sFTP protocol.
> >>I also installed the FireFTP Add On for the Firefox browser, but when
> >>I tried to connect to the server, it says that I need putty-tools. I
> >>have the rpmforge and epel  repositories configured but yum did not
> >>find putty-tools. Is there an RPM for a client program for gFTP or
> >>putty-tools? If so, in which repository?    TIA!
> >
> > The sftp program is a standard part of the openssh package.
>
> Bill: Apparently openssh-4.3p2-29.el5.i386 is already installed. How
> do I launch it or sFTP so I can upload files from my desktop to the
> server? TIA! Lanny
>
> 1443 packages excluded due to repository priority protections
> Setting up Install Process
> Parsing package install arguments
> Package openssh-4.3p2-29.el5.i386 already installed and latest version
> Nothing to do

sftp is a *CLI* program.  To use it, you first need to start a terminal
shell program.

On the GNome desktop, select Applications=>Accessories=>Terminal (or
maybe Applications=>System Tools=>Terminal, depending out how things
are set up). [I don't use the GNome desktop environment enough to know
for sure. On *other people's* computers I've seen the Terminal in
either of these two places.]

In the terminal window, you can then type:

sftp username at hostname:

Then you can type help to get a list of commands you can type from
there.

If you want a point-and-click interface, I don't know of one.  I myself
actually use scp or ssh (with tar or rsync etc.) also from the command
line or with scripts.