[CentOS] CentOS/SNMP update breaks MRTG?

Tue Jul 14 18:17:28 UTC 2009
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

Noob Centos Admin wrote:
> Thanks guys for all the suggestions. None of it changed the situation
> but I'm beginning to think that it might have to do with SNMP not
> accepting word names in MRTG, or more specifically some kind of
> language encoding issue.
>
> This is because of the following reasons
>
> 1. It's been pointed that out that MRTG need to be started with the
> options env LANG=C because it won't work properly if LANG is UTF8
>
> 2. On some options I try in MRTG, the log shows some error about Wide
> characters returned from SNMP, and I see a chinese character, which
> obviously shouldn't be a return value.
>
> 3. Addressing SNMP variables by name does not work in MRTG, but works
> from command line. e.g. something like ssRawCpuLoad is fine in command
> line, but does not work in MRTG config file, only the dot-numeric
> equivalent would return some kind of data in MRTG.
>
> 4. The problem started AFTER I rebooted the system after the update,
> so the reboot might have possibly allowed some settings to take effect
> with regards to the server's encoding. Maybe Centos 5.3 went from an
> EN_US language default to UTF8 default?
>
> If this is indeed the case, how would I possible change the
> interface/shell language settings back to the English one, since I
> don't typically need to input non-English characters nor view them in
> shell?
>
> I've added a LANG='en_US' and export LANG line in /etc/profile but it
> doesn't seem to be doing anything. Do I need a reboot for it to work
> like I am guessing based on #4 above?

I don't see any similar problem on machines upgraded to Centos5.3 that
are monitored with (and running) OpenNMS, so I'd guess that since you
didn't change your snmpd.conf settings it is MRTG-specific.

And btw: OpenNMS might be overkill for your purpose, but you might want
to take a look:  http://www.opennms.org.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com