[CentOS] Custom udev rules to override defaults?

Tue Jul 14 20:46:11 UTC 2009
James Pearson <james-p at moving-picture.com>

Ron Loftin wrote:

> It seems like it should be.  I presume that you have already been
> reading the rules guide found on your system
> at /usr/share/doc/udev-095/writing_udev_rules/index.html.  I can't add
> much to that, except to point out that to support various models of UPS
> on different systems, I have put the following into a file
> named /etc/udev/rules.d/99-nut-ups.rules and gotten the desired results:
>
> #  Serial device for UPS monitoring
> KERNEL=="ttyS0",            OWNER="nutdev", GROUP="nut", MODE="0660"
> KERNEL=="hiddev0",            OWNER="nutdev", GROUP="nut", MODE="0660"
>
> As you will note, these lines change the user and group ownership of the
> target files, but the permissions via the "MODE" parameter should work
> the same way.
>
> I'm wondering if you might want to try a more selective target for the
> device in the "KERNEL" parameter, say "ttyS*" since you're targeting
> your serial ports.

I think my problem is that I included the 'NAME="%k"' in the line from
50-udev.rules when I copied it to my custom rule file - leaving this out
(as per your example) and calling it 99-local.rules - it now works.

Thanks

James Pearson