[CentOS] CentOS/SNMP update breaks MRTG?

Wed Jul 15 10:23:07 UTC 2009
Noob Centos Admin <centos.admin at gmail.com>

Hi,
> well, i note there's a few versions of rrdtool in the various
> repositories.   the stock CentOS 5 version 9from upstream) is 1.2.30,
> while rpmforge has 1.3.7, also a seperate rrdutils package (I have no
> idea whats in it)

*sigh* The stuff of nightmares, I did have 1.3.7 installed after
checking. But searching on this direction finally yielded an important
piece of information. Somebody posted back in 2008 on a site to IGNORE
the jrrd problem because OpenNMS supposedly comes with some kind of
java rrd already installed (which begs the question of why then is the
jrrd step mentioned in the install guide).

So I went ahead with the install process which then complained that my
postgresql was the wrong version, i.e. 8.4 instead of max of 8.3, but
at least this time it kindly offered a -Q option to ignore the version
restrictions at my own risk.

I did. Then it was on to another problem, with OpenNMS dying on
startup due to port clash with DHCP. Fortunately again, this was noted
as something that happens quite often on Linux systems and a quick fix
was to simply comment out the dhcp configuration.

After that, it was just the usual matter of opening a port in iptables
for the opennms/tomcat and FINALLY something was working.

I'm crossing my fingers that ignoring the jrrd, ignoring the versions
and ignoring the dhcp monitor isn't going to bite me one of these
days. For now, "ignore"nce is bliss :D