[CentOS] Anaconda crashing on new machine

Mon Jul 20 10:53:23 UTC 2009
fred smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>

On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 08:08:40PM -0700, nate wrote:
> fred smith wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I'm building up a new computer and this evening have had several events
> > during installation in which Anaconda has crashed. It's not clear that
> > there is a lot of commonality between the different crashes.
>
> Crash how? does it freeze? When I've seen anaconda crash it
> usually produces a stack dump which can point to where it crashed
> exactly.

Yes, a very long dump is produced. (rant: I hate those apps that give
you a large chunk of text to look at, but put it in a small window that
cannot be re-sized.) I'm afraid it doesn't mean much to me, though
I've skimmed it a couple of times and nothing helpful has leaped out
at me. it's verrrrrrry long.

> I have had anaconda crash a lot while using LVM over the years during
> installation, do you happen to be trying to setup LVM during
> installation? If so try not using LVM and see if that helps at all.

no, no LVM. there's a howto on the Centos wiki about building "partitionable"
RAID configurations, and I'm trying to follow that.