[CentOS] PCI modems

Thu Jul 23 14:40:56 UTC 2009
Rob Townley <rob.townley at gmail.com>

HylaFax.org's list of Analog/POTS SoftModems has a list of winmodems
mixed in with  just plain software.  (Digital Modems are for ISDN / T1
phone circuits, not home).  So you may want to ask their mailing list
and chat room.

Keeping in mind that hardware that works for one type of softmodem
project (voice) may not work for another (faxing).  Linux Gazette has
an article on a $10 dollaer Linux Answering Machine that says that
"Intel 537-based modem (softmodem)" works.  A "PCI slot that does not
share interrupts" is very important bc it will generate thousands of
interrupts.

External modems allow you to reset the modem without resetting the entire pc.