[CentOS] PCI modems

Thu Jul 23 16:18:13 UTC 2009
Bill Campbell <centos at celestial.com>

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009, William L. Maltby wrote:

>On Thu, 2009-07-23 at 15:37 +0200, RedShift wrote:
>> <snip>
>
>> Hi
>>
>> It doesn't need to be a PCI modem, but I would prefer one because everything can be nicely tucked away than and it's less wiring. But if only oldskool external serial modems do the job I'll use that then.
>>
>> Just to confirm, something like this one: http://www.usr-emea.com/products/p-dialup-product.asp?prod=hom-5631a&loc=bene will just work out of the box?
>
>My preference is MultiTech. IIRC, many others on this list have also
>preferred them.

I will second that.  We have been using Multitech external modems
with HylaFAX since the early '90s with excellent results.

I have done extensive testing on many external modems, and found
that most are basically worthless for unattended operations.  The
only ones I have found to be very reliable are Multitech and
Telebit, and Telebit hasn't been around for a decade or so
(although I have three WorldBlazers and a TrailBlazer on the
shelf in the back).

I also strongly recommend against using internal modems as modems
do get wedged from time to time requiring hardware resets.
That's simple with external modems, but requires rebooting the
machine with internals.  External serial modems Just Work(tm)
regardless of the operating systems.

Bill
Fax:            (206) 232-9186  Skype: jwccsllc (206) 855-5792

Good luck to all you optimists out there who think Microsoft can deliver
35 million lines of quality code on which you can operate your business.
   -- John C. Dvorak