[CentOS] SSH attacks from china

Thu Jul 23 19:10:06 UTC 2009
mark.hanna at rmgconnect.com <mark.hanna at rmgconnect.com>

Sam Drinkard <sam at wa4phy.net>
Sent by: centos-bounces at centos.org
07/23/2009 11:49 AM
Please respond to
CentOS mailing list <centos at centos.org>

cc

Subject
Re: [CentOS] SSH attacks from china

Bob Hoffman wrote:
> Okay, I have a server connected to the net but have not added fail2ban
or
> anything on top of my firewall yet.
>
> Thought you guys might get a kick out of this one user, ip is from
china,
> who has got a heck of a knack for making assumptions on possible
usernames.

> Enjoy this..., 8000+ attempts. Scroll down for funky ones. I have no
root
> access enabled on this server and it is pretty bare. Just using it as a
> collector of banable ips right now and it is doing a good job.
> But some of these are quite interesting when you look at the keyboard
> layout. They really must try to figure this mental thing out...wow.
>
> If you take some time, there are some down right funny usernames like
>
> 1am0nly4Joomla
> Igor
> scoobydoo
> $chooLg1rL
>
> So for all you out there that think your cool way of making a username
is
> unique and not to be guessed, you might want to look at some of the
lengths
> this one bot went to.
>
> 58.53.192.47: 8002 times
>        test/password: 48 times
>        user/password: 45 times
>        fax/password: 43 times
>        www/password: 34 times
>        info/password: 27 times
>        /password: 24 times
>        bill/password: 24 times
>        httpd/password: 23 times
>        1q2w3e/password: 21 times
>        admin/password: 21 times
>

><snip the other 7995 >
>
>I think that would definitely classify as a dictionary attack.. but what
>dictionary has all those kinds of entries :)
>
>Sam

When it is not so much a dictionary, but a list of known, good
usernames/passwords harvested from somewhere else... or in this case
several lists concatenated one after another (note how there the list is a
pattern of alphabetical runs)...

Mark
</PRE><p><span style="font-size:9.5pt;line-height:115%;font-family: Arial">This transmission is intended solely for the person or organization to whom it is addressed and it may contain privileged and confidential information.  If you are not the intended recipient you should not copy, distribute or take any action in reliance on it. If you believe you received this transmission in error, please notify the sender.</span></p>