[CentOS] Need help on start samba

Thu Jul 23 19:26:54 UTC 2009
Rob Townley <rob.townley at gmail.com>

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 3:08 AM, Tran Van Hung<tvhungsg at yahoo.com.vn> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Thank for reply.
> But before I insalled samba by hand, as follow:
> -download samba source (.tar.gz)
> -unrar with tar command
> -build with ./configure
> -install with make
>
> -Then I configure /etc/samba/smb.conf by vi.
> -Then I create users with password.
>
> Issue I met when start samba as I wrote before:
>
> root at maychu1 home]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb start
>
> Pls!
>
> Thank you & Best Regards,
>
> ------------------
> Tran Van Hung
> IT Department
> REX HOTEL
> 141 Nguyen Hue Blvd, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
> Tel:(84-8)38292185 or (84-8)38293115
> Fax:(84-8)38296536
> Email: tvhungsg at yahoo.com.vn
> Website:http//www.rexhotelvietnam.com
> **
> Cell Phone: 0983908262
> YM and Skype: tvhungsg

> Sent: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 10:09:55 PM
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] Need help on start samba
>

> On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 10:52 AM, Tran Van Hung <tvhungsg at yahoo.com.vn>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hello all!
>>
>> I have met inform as following. I see that no smb on init.d folder.
>>
>> [root at maychu1 home]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb start
>> bash: /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb: No such file or directory
>>
>> Pls help me how to have smb on init.d folder? Thank you.
>>
>> Thank you & Best Regards,
>
> You probably do not have the samba package installed. You can do:
>
> rpm -q samba
>
> If no packages are listed, do:
>
> yum -y install samba
>
> This will install the samba package which contains the /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb
> script.
>
> Instead of running the script directly, it's easier to do:
>
> service smb start

Attached are RPM based /etc/init.d/smb and /etc/init.d/winbind which
are the text based shell scripts used to do things such as:
service smb start
service smb stop
service smb status

Of course, these are the RPM based ones which may have assumptions
that are not compatible with your source based version unless you edit
them.  Let me know if it works.
If you haven't done a "man chkconfig", you may want to do that as well.

Don't forget the testparm command which checks /etc/samba/smb.conf for
proper syntax.

i believe the list blocks attachments, so i cced you on it directly.