[CentOS] Cleaning up some problems

Mon Jul 27 19:48:42 UTC 2009
Sam Drinkard <sam at wa4phy.net>

Filipe Brandenburger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 21:16, Sam Drinkard<sam at wa4phy.net> wrote:
>
>> I get this one every week when /etc/cron.weekly runs.
>>

> Which one? You never included the error message you actually have...
> Please re-read your original e-mail, and post the exact error message
> you have, and also where you get it (e-mail from cron?).
>
> HTH,
> Filipe

If I recall, but I'll look back, I quoted the exact message output from
the run of cron.weekly, but here it is again::

# ./makewhatis.cron
cat: /usr/share/man/man3/s: No such file or directory
Read file error: /usr/share/man/man3/s No such file or directory
cat: Net::DNS: No such file or directory
Read file error: Net::DNS No such file or directory

And the other cron job in that subdir is: 0anacron.

cat 0anacron
#!/bin/sh
# anacron's script
# This script updates anacron time stamps. It is called through
run-parts either by anacron itself or by cron
#  The scrips is called "0anacron" to assure that is will be executed #
_before_ all other scripts.
#  Don't run anacron if this script is called by anacron.
if [ ! -e /var/run/anacron.pid]; then
    anacron -u cron.weekly.
fi

The error message is logged within the daily log file, but of course,
only once a week.  Two problems: Net::DNS IS installed, and what the
hell is the "s".  Try googling for "s" or even the error message....
zilch for me.  As I mentioned earlier, I know of no other effects this
failure has, but knowing something has run amok does not make happy.

Ok.. maybe have fixed it on my own.  Under the man page for makewhatis,
there are some options that can be passed.  The server had an "s" and my
desktop has a "w" as the option.  I changed them to opposites, so if one
works and the desktop gives the same error message, then I guess the
problem is solved.  we'll see...

Sam