[CentOS] What's the configure specs for the generic Apache install of CentOS x86_64 5.3?

Tue Jul 28 01:23:27 UTC 2009
Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com>

> On Mon, 2009-07-27 at 16:06 -0700, Al Sparks wrote:
> > Perhaps I can use that to determine what ./configure options to use when compiling, but really, I don't see any differences in the two except some directory paths, and APR version (the CentOS version uses APR 1.3.0 and my version uses APR 1.2.7).
> >
> > I actually did look into specifying
> >       --with-apr=PATH         prefix for installed APR or the full path to
> >                              apr-config
> >        --with-apr-util=PATH    prefix for installed APU or the full path to
> >
> > I'll give it a try.
> >    === Al
>
> If you compile your own apache, you lose *ALL* of the patches that
> upstream has put in place, and you break the rpm-listed definition of
> what the apache package is.  Doesn't sound like a big deal now, right?
> Wait until later... you'll definitely regret it... EPEL or apxs would be
> the way to go for this...

Right.  The other option, if there is some specific thing you need
changed is to grab the source RPM and tweek the .spec file and include
your own patch(es).  Keep the patch(es), along with a patch file for the
.spec file someplace, so you can patch future versions.  But Ian is
right: you need a really good reason NOT to just use the distro provided
RPM, along with whatever extras from EPEL (or rpmforge, etc.) you might
need.  Also: check out CentOSPlus as well, if you need more bleeding
edge or whatever.