[CentOS] What's the configure specs for the generic Apache install of CentOS x86_64 5.3?

Tue Jul 28 01:41:37 UTC 2009
Ian Forde <ian at duckland.org>

On Jul 27, 2009, at 6:28 PM, Rainer Duffner <rainer at ultra-secure.de>
wrote:

> Am 28.07.2009 um 03:23 schrieb Robert Heller:
>

>> Right.  The other option, if there is some specific thing you need
>> changed is to grab the source RPM and tweek the .spec file and
>> include
>> your own patch(es).  Keep the patch(es), along with a patch file for
>> the
>> .spec file someplace, so you can patch future versions.  But Ian is
>> right: you need a really good reason NOT to just use the distro
>> provided
>> RPM, along with whatever extras from EPEL (or rpmforge, etc.) you
>> might
>> need.  Also: check out CentOSPlus as well, if you need more bleeding
>> edge or whatever.
>

> Ever tried moving the install-location to /usr/local by changing the
> spec-file?
>
> Last time I looked, there was so much hard-coded stuff in the spec-
> file that it was almost impossible to change.

Right - that's kind of the point. If you want to customize your Apache
build, then the spec file modification route is the way to go, though
you should really know what you're doing and why. If all you want to
do is build a non-CentOS/upstream-supplied Apache module, then
building an rpm for it is the best way. Failing that, you can use
Apache's built-in tool for DSO building: apxs, which is part of the
httpd-devel package. Of course, if you want to build everything from
source, this may not be the optimum distro for you and you may wish to
explore Gentoo...;)

   -I