[CentOS] BIND vulnerability

Wed Jul 29 19:47:30 UTC 2009
Chris Boyd <cboyd at gizmopartners.com>

On Jul 29, 2009, at 2:19 PM, Ray Van Dolson wrote:

> Do you have a link to a mailing lists post describing this?  Would
> like
> to pass it along...

This is the head of the thread:

https://lists.dns-oarc.net/pipermail/dns-operations/2009-July/004315.html

Some of the relevant discussion:

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 06:21:22PM -0700,
Peter Losher <plosher at isc.org> wrote
a message of 30 lines which said:

"Testing indicates that the attack packet has to be formulated against a
zone for which that machine is a master. Launching the attack against
slave zones does not trigger the assert.

We tested that removing the zones which are typically there by
default, and in mode master (such as localhost and
0.0.127.in-addr.arpa) works fine: the published exploit no longer
works afterwards.

This can be an interim solution for those who don't have a clean
upgrade path (for instance, RHEL did not push the patch yet).

like, for example,  .localhost or  0.0.127.in-addr.arpa.

--bill