[CentOS] LDAP howto using ds-base and ds-admin and related consoles

Fri Jul 31 15:12:12 UTC 2009
Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com>

On Fri, 2009-07-31 at 16:00 +0100, Tony Molloy wrote:
> > But this all would be virtually impossible without a decent
> knowledge of
> > how LDAP works and that is regardless of whether you use CentOS-DS
> or
> > OpenLDAP.
> >
> > Craig
>
> After reading Carter's book I think i've got some idea of how LDAP
> works. Just
> a pity that most books/documentation seem to be about OpenLDAP so it
> takes a
> while to convert to Centos-DS.
----
I agree that Gerald Carter's book makes LDAP understandable.

The reality is that the LDAP API is pretty much the same and you
actually use openldap-client and nss-ldap tools even with CentOS-DS. I
haven't used CentOS-DS but I have used Fedora-DS and it is built from
Fedora-DS. The difference between them is setup of schema, certificates,
ACL's/ACI's and I found once I understood OpenLDAP, that Fedora-DS was
easy enough to use with only a few questions.

I think you might want to subscribe to

Craig

believed to be clean.