[CentOS] stock openjdk vs. epel

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Mon Jun 1 19:09:08 UTC 2009

on 6-1-2009 10:49 AM Les Mikesell spake the following:
> Scott Silva wrote:
>> on 6-1-2009 9:43 AM Les Mikesell spake the following:
>>> If you have the epel repo installed and enabled during a yum update, you
>>> get java-1.6.0-openjdk-1.6.0.0-1.0.b12.el5.2 instead of the stock .b09
>>> version.  Is this intentional and desirable?  I thought epel generally
>>> did not replace stock components with newer versions.
>>>
>> Any third party repo has the potential to replace base files. That is why the
>> priorities and the protectbase plugins were written.
>
> Obviously they have the potential - and almost equally obviously an end
> user will have no idea what to choose even if they do have a tiny bit of
> control over yum (but no way to see where their existing version came
> from).  But I thought that long ago I asked if epel would supply a newer
> Firefox or OpenOffice (back when it was needed and RHEL hadn't done it
> yet...) and someone replied that it would not be epel policy to
> overwrite stock packages.  Was that not correct - or have things changed?

EPEL was also asked if they could add a repo tag just so people knew where
things came from. That didn't happen either, but much "discussion" did happen.
As for EPEL policy, I guess you will have to ask them. Since it is Fedora
packages being rebuilt, there is going to have to be some newer things being
put in there.